Who We Are
We are a group of graduate students and faculty members who have gone through the POWER training process. We come from different backgrounds and writing experiences, but we have one thing in common:
We believe anyone can learn to write academically given the right tools and applying those to their own writing development. We also believe in our ability to continually develop and improve our writing.
Read some of the writings from the POWER Consultants:
Personal & Collective Blogs
- Writing Uphill – by Jennifer Travis – a fun, insightful and inspiring blog about a Texas A&M graduate student’s experience with writing.
- Living on a [Writing] Prayer – by Tracey Hodges – an insightful and down-to-earth blog documenting the academic writing journey of scholar and writer.
- MiraNous – by Miranda Walichowski – a blog filled great and inspiring practical information for educators and parents focused on learning.
- Ph.D. Pudding – by Margarita (Maggie) Huerta – tips, tools, and advice on the Ph.D. experience.
Blog Posts & Articles
- Adrift on a lonely sea: A Cautionary tale for grads – by Jennifer Travis on InsideHigherEd.com
- Fiber Arts and Mathematics: The Overlap of Creativity and Reason – by Jill Zarestky for the Arts Council of Brazos Valley
- National Cancer Control Month: It’s all about prevention! – by Charles R. Rogers on the Society for the Analysis of African American Public Health Issues (SAAPHI)
- Writing Gifts: Blogging about Academic Writing – by Patricia Goodson and Maggie Huerta for the Text and Academic Author’s Association September/October 2013 Newsletter
- A Student of the POWER Writing Model – by Brittany Rosen for the Text and Academic Author’s Association January/February 2014 Newsletter
Listen to our podcast: The Power of Writing – by Brittany Rosen at the 26th Annual Textbook and Academic Authoring Conference
Watch guest talks by Dr. Tim Lightfoot: Live Long and Prosper…in an Academic Job